Quick Check-in on Voting Rights Actions
Just wanted to quickly check in about taking action to protect voting rights. As part of Do Something, each month I’m looking at a complex issue and trying to find practical actions to help. I hope that you’ll join me, and please let me know about your ideas.
The Senate is working on the Freedom to Vote Act, which, while not as strong as the bills passed by the House, does have a lot in it to protect voting rights.
John Oliver did a great segment on voting rights on Sunday. It’s worth a watch if you have HBO.
Here are the actions. I still think that we should push for the House bills to be taken up by the Senate, so I am including them here.
Call Your US Senators:
- Support: John R. Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act of 2021, passed by the House in August.
- Support: For the People Act of 2021. This is a key piece of legislation.
- Support: The Freedom to Vote act, the Senate’s a voting rights bill.
- Tell your Senator that you support abolishing the filibuster, especially for voting rights.
Call Your State Representative and Senator
- Your state representation if you live in one of the states that has or is planning to restrict voting rights, and tell them you oppose such action.
- Your state representation if you live in one of the states that has or is planning to expand voting rights, and tell them that you support such action.
Donate (if you can)
- Stacy Abrams’s Fair Fight, which works to make voting free and fair. This is a great resource for advocacy and education, including helping to get voters registered and countering racist laws to restrict voting. Consider a donation if you can.
- The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). The ACLU is on the front lines of a host of issues, including voting rights. Donate if you can.